[rrd-users] Re: Calculating average when aggregating

Stephan Harren sh at abovenet.de
Mon Aug 5 14:43:33 MEST 2002

> I would say that's exactly what you want, isn't it?
> You want the average-calculating to start when the first graph gets its
> first non-unknown value.
>
> So, If the first non-unknown value will only start after 1/4 of the time in
> the graph, the average will be calculated over the remaining 3/4 of the
> time.
>
> If you do not want that (but you want to start the average-calculating on
> the start of the graph), you could just take the same CDEF as the
> nice-line-graph, thus bringing you back in the same position as where you
> began.

O.K., let's try to make it clear:

1. 6 months ago I started the first rrd.
2. Today the second rrd starts.
3. To get a nice graph, I eliminate the "*UNKNOWN*"s. This will lead to
an average calculation for over the last 12 months (if the graphs goes
over 12 months), so I do a second CDEF.
4. This leads me to the situation (I guess it's like that, if not I'd be
glad) that the average calculation starts today. I would like it to
start 6 months ago, when the first rrd started. My guess comes from the
behaviour of the aggregated graph, if things are different, I'd be fine.

Could you tell ?

Thanks a lot in advance and also for the help you gave already !

Stephan
--
Stephan Harren
Manager Site Operations