[rrd-users] Re: Data archiving

Justin Shore listuser at neo.pittstate.edu
Wed Aug 7 21:19:56 MEST 2002

At 8:33 PM +0200 8/7/02, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
>Justin Shore wrote:
>
>>  Howdy all.  I'm considering using RRD in the future for certain
>>  statistics.  I'm curious about how long data is archived and how much
>>  space it consumes.  What I'd like to be able to do is tell my CGI to
>>  create a daily image from a particular day up to a year ago (maybe
>>  longer).  Does RRD keep data that long or does it convert the daily
>>  data into weekly and monthly data after a certain amount of time?  I
>>  think I explained what I'm looking for correctly.  If it's confusing,
>>  let me know and I'll try again.  Thanks
>
>RRDtool doesn't do this, *you* do this.  If you tell RRDtool to
>keep 10 years worth of data in a one-day resolution, it probably
>will do so.  There will be a limit but I don't think it will be
>reached that soon.

I see.  This will probably take a lot of experimenting on my part to
figure this out then.  Do you have an idea what kind of drive space
might be involved for a year's worth of 5 minute polling (daily) for,
say, basic network I/O?

Something I do now is archive my daily/weekly/monthly images at the
appropriate times respectively as well as the basic HTML surrounding
the relevant image.

http://neo.pittstate.edu/stats/network/archive/daily/020806/kr-pittsburg-io.shtml

I was giving this some thought as I pondered switching to RRD tool
for the data logging side of things.  I was thinking about writing a
script to have rrdtool create me an image for archiving at the
intervals I need.  For the 2001 year, that archive with a total of
around 50 targets using PNGs.  If I could save some of that space and
just have RRD store the raw data for an extended period of time, I
think I could save a fair amount of resources (drive space, CPU time
to create images, CPU time AND drive space to archive images).  Would
this be a good way to go about this?  I need to just jump into RRD
sometime like I did with MRTG at one point.

Thanks for the input
  Justin

Justin Shore, ES-SS ES-SSR      Pittsburg State University
Network & Systems Manager       Kelce 157Q
Office of Information Systems   Pittsburg, KS 66762
Voice: (620) 235-4606           Fax: (620) 235-4545
http://www.pittstate.edu/ois/

Warning:  This message has been quadruple Rot13'ed for your protection.