[rrd-users] Re: Resizing Re-Visited

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 9 07:23:23 MEST 2002

Today Martin Rheumer wrote:

> Peeps,
>
> Have resized a number of RRAs to keep daily, weekly etc
> for 5 times greater then the defaults that mrtg created
> these ( obviously a converted mrtg user ).
> Has anyone tried to edit mrtg itself to create bigger
> RRA row settings and would mind passing on the info.

Martin, Note that mrtg has a config option which lets you modify
the size of the rrds created

=head2 RRDRowCount

This affects the creation of new rrd files. By default rrds are
created to hold about 1 days worth of high resolution data. (plus 1
week of 30 minute data, 2 month of 2 hour data and 2 years of 1 day
data).  Whith this Keyword you can change the number of base
interval entries configured for new rrds as they get created. Note
that you must take the interval time into account.

Example:

RRDRowCount[ezwf]: 1600

> Tobi / anyone If I were to put my cfgmaker with edits for
> the IfInErrors and ifOutErrors what is the correct way to
> make sure I dont breach GNU etc. I have not edited any
> internal credits or added anything like I created the changes.
> What needs to be on the web site to acknowledge it is not
> my work just some edits. ( There will be obvious links
> to mrtg )

There are two ways you can go. Either if you integrate your changes
into the current mrtg makeing them configurable, then I will be
glad to add this to the standard release

If you change things, and want to release this on your own, this is
fine too, to avoid confusion it would be good to rename the tool
though ... also the copyright of the original code still aplies,
this means you can add your name to the copyright, but you can not
remove others ...

And whatever you do, the GNU license will remain ...

cheers
tobi

> Thanks
> Martin
>
> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / phoneto:+41(0)1-632-5286  faxto:+41(0)1-632-1517
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://google.com/search?q=tobi