[rrd-users] Re: Resizing Re-Visited

Martin Rheumer martinr at hotkey.net.au
Mon Aug 12 06:17:40 MEST 2002

At 07:23 AM 8/9/02 +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
>Today Martin Rheumer wrote:
>

>> Peeps,
>>
>> Have resized a number of RRAs to keep daily, weekly etc
>> for 5 times greater then the defaults that mrtg created
>> these ( obviously a converted mrtg user ).
>> Has anyone tried to edit mrtg itself to create bigger
>> RRA row settings and would mind passing on the info.
>
>Martin, Note that mrtg has a config option which lets you modify
>the size of the rrds created
>
>=head2 RRDRowCount
>
>This affects the creation of new rrd files. By default rrds are
>created to hold about 1 days worth of high resolution data. (plus 1
>week of 30 minute data, 2 month of 2 hour data and 2 years of 1 day
>data).  Whith this Keyword you can change the number of base
>interval entries configured for new rrds as they get created. Note
>that you must take the interval time into account.
>
>Example:
>
>RRDRowCount[ezwf]: 1600

Okies..

Set this ..

PathAdd: /usr/local/mrtg/bin
LibAdd: /usr/local/mrtg/lib
LogFormat: rrdtool

RRDRowCount[_]: 9000

Then on the new created file I got.

root at lucy:/usr/local/mrtg/htdocs/# /usr/local/rrdtool-1.0.38/bin/rrdtool
info blah.cpu.rrd | grep rows
rra[0].rows = 599
rra[1].rows = 700
rra[2].rows = 775
rra[3].rows = 796
rra[4].rows = 700
rra[5].rows = 775
rra[6].rows = 796

SO I thought it might not be supported in the [_] style settings..

so tried it the other way

RRDRowCount[blah.cpu]: 9000

But alas got the same results. ( Deleting the rrd and allowing them to
be re-created my mrtg )

root at lucy:/usr/local/mrtg/htdocs/# /usr/local/rrdtool-1.0.38/bin/rrdtool
info blah.cpu.rrd | grep rows
rra[0].rows = 599
rra[1].rows = 700
rra[2].rows = 775