[rrd-users] measure the total traffic

T. Xar xar at vpnet.at
Thu Aug 29 23:07:44 MEST 2002

hi all,

i am searching for (a) tool(s), which can counts the summary of my traffic and generate some nice graphics of the statistics, like many ISP are using.
I found rrdtool and mrtg , which produce really nice graphics. so it would be very good for my need.
i have read the manuals and faq's of mrtg and rrdtool, but i'm not shure if i did understood it correctly how snmp, mrtg and rrdtool interacts.

snmp gives me many information of my network
mrtg reads the snmp and make log files which i have configured that mrtg should do and generate the graphics for that.
rrdtools can do the same as mrtg, but it is more powerful, faster, make more graphics and store it in a database and does not need mrtg

so my questions are:
is the above assumption correct ?
is it possible to measure the total traffic with snmp which was gone through the network ?
would some logs get lost if the system crash ?
if it's not possible with snmp, could it a other tool like tcpdump ?
can rrdtool and mrtg evaluate other log, dump files then from snmp ?
can rrdtool and/or mrtg generate statistics of the built traffic per hour, day, week, month, year ?
can i store the evaluation in a sql database ?

it is really not completely clear for me, so i hope i get some answers here.
i am very gratefully about any information you would give me.

thank you in advance
Thomas Xar