[rrd-users] Re: measure the total traffic

Fri Aug 30 00:10:02 MEST 2002

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 11:07:44PM +0200, T. Xar wrote:
> hi all,
>
> snmp gives me many information of my network

yes

> mrtg reads the snmp and make log files which i have configured that mrtg should do and generate the graphics for that.

yes

> rrdtools can do the same as mrtg, but it is more powerful, faster, make more graphics and store it in a database and does not need mrtg

yes

> so my questions are:
> is it possible to measure the total traffic with snmp which was gone through the network ?

yes

> would some logs get lost if the system crash ?

dunno

> if it's not possible with snmp, could it a other tool like tcpdump ?

ok with snmp, as well with netstat -k (on solaris), or ifconfig on
linux, or cat /proc/dev/net on linux also ..
Surely not tvpdump (too much resources used)

> can rrdtool and mrtg evaluate other log, dump files then from snmp ?

dunno

> can rrdtool and/or mrtg generate statistics of the built traffic per hour, day, week, month, year ?

yes (both)

> can i store the evaluation in a sql database ?

nope or at least to generate the graphs with rrdtool, data needs to be
in a rrd database also (flat file), but the sql database can be used to
fill data into rrd (I think cacti is working this way, not sure though
as I don't use cacti)

Luc