[rrd-users] Re: RRDTool accuracy?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Dec 10 23:28:39 MET 2002

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 11:26:44AM -0500, Ed Grant wrote:

> I have been using MRTG for some time now, and am fairly confident in the
> results it reports. Anyway, I am new to RRDTool and only recently switched
> an installation of MRTG to use RRDTool to test it out.

Many people have used, and still are using, RRDtool.  I'm confident
that when they're confident you can be confident too :)

Debug the problem step by step.  Don't rely on 14all.cgi to do
the reporting (during your debugging phase that is) but fetch
the numbers straight from RRDtool yourself. Compare with what
14all.cgi gives you.  One possible problem eliminated.

If necessary, duplicate the numbers that are given to RRDtool (for
instance by creating a wrapper around rrdtool logging every update
it receives) and do the math yourself.  Another problem eliminated.

Debug MRTG as well.  Perhaps you're thinking it reports bits per
second while in fact it is bytes per second, or the other way
around.  Check your MRTG config file against the 14all.cgi release
notes to see if there's something in there that 14all.cgi doesn't
understand (yet).

HTH
Alex