[rrd-users] Re: please help a lost newbie

Simon Mullis Simon.Mullis at equinoxsolutions.com
Wed Dec 11 17:31:34 MET 2002

You're absolutely right. MRTG is good for only two variables.

I have a number of devices and variables that I poll using MRTG as the data
collector.  It is then fairly trivial to use RRDTool or RRDCGI to handle
creating some fairly complex graphs using the MRTG RRDs as the source data.
Obviously one can use multiple RRDs for the same graph

My point was only that if MRTG is already used in a Production environment
it may be easiest to use it to collect the data itself rahter then
reinventing the wheel etc.  For example, I already have the MRTG systems in
a redundant and fault-tolerant configuration with my NMS configured to
receive SNMP traps from the systems and alert / escalate faults accordingly.
We have a variety of stock requirements that are more than catered for by
MRTG and some more exotic requirements that are dealt with via RRDCGI.

(I for one will be happy when VDEFs and the 95 percentile functionality are
incorporated in the Stable branch of RRDTool).

Thanks

SM