[rrd-users] Re: insert time-stamped data from a flat file?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Dec 12 01:03:43 MET 2002

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 11:40:05AM -0500, Dulac, Daniel (Dan) wrote:

>                                            When running my script and
> attempting to insert data into the RRD, I get the following error
> (repeatedly with different times):
>

> ERROR: illegal attempt to update using time 1039622171 when last update time
> is 1039622235 (minimum
> one second step)

This means there was an update done at time 1039622235.  You are
trying to update at time 1039622171.  This is *before* the last
update to the database.  RRDtool is telling you this isn't possible.

1) You cannot update data that's already in the database.
2) RRDtool has to fill in any missing data (by design)

3=1+2) You have to enter data in sequence.

There's nothing wrong with entering data at another time, just
make sure you don't update with "now" and only then start updating
the historic data.

HTH
Alex