[rrd-users] Re: adding a new data source to existing RRD

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Dec 19 20:52:12 MET 2002

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 10:41:02AM -0600, Jason Signalness wrote:

> After looking at the manuals and list, I'm still at a loss.  How does
> one go about adding a new data source to an existing RRD?
>
> For example: One RRD contains many data sources (server performance data
> for a single server).  If I add a disk to a server and want to monitor
> it using RRDTool & Cricket, how can I do this without destroying
> existing data?

Three different answers are frequently presented whenever this question
comes up again.  Choose one.

1:  Don't.  Just build another RRD.
    (and yes: you can combine DSes from multiple RRDs into one graph).
2:  dump, edit the xml file, restore
3:  find the script that does (2) for you

For more details please search the archive of this list.

--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit