[rrd-users] General Practice

scoggiN scoggiN at digitalme.com
Fri Dec 20 16:08:50 MET 2002

I am beginning to use RRDTOOL. I have created an RRD or 2 and graphed
somethings via the examples.

Most of the discussions in the manuals talk about a given service and
ways to represent and manipulate its data ie "traffic of a router, max
average, etc" or "number of users logged on".

I have a number of servers and many routers. I would like to create 1
.rrd for each.

This single .rrd should hold all info for that machine ie
Number of users logged in
free disk space per volume
traffic
free memory
# of processes
space used by .pst files
temperature of CPU
etc.

As you can see there is a lot diverse information I would like to store
in one place. Getting the information out of the server isn't a problem.
What I would like are suggestions/comments on how to get it into/out of
the .rrd.

Would each of these constitute a DS or more than 1 DS?
How do I specify multiple RRAs for Multiple DSs?

Do I need to break all these services up into individual .rdds?

Thanks for your time.

BriaN