[rrd-users] Re: RRD Graph and CISCO GSR traffic problem?

Logg, Connie A. cal at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Wed Jan 9 18:33:35 MET 2002

The problem is that the 32 bit counters wrap.  See RFC 2233 for
very clear detailed information.  The mib variables specified in RFC 2233
require Snmpv2c to read the 64 bit counters.

Now there is one question I have for mrtg and rrdtool
experts.  How is the arithmetic done for the 64 bit counters?

Is it done as 64 bit unsigned arithmetic, or 32 bit floating point?
If it is done as 32 arithmetic, precision is lost.

Thanks, Connie Logg
Connie Logg - Network Analyst - 650-926-2879
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
MS 97; 2575 SandHill Road; Menlo Park CA 94025
"Happiness is found along the way, not at the end of the road"