[rrd-users] Re: 14all and dir/cfgdir trouble.

Rainer Bawidamann rainer at bawidamann.de
Thu Jan 24 22:36:49 MET 2002

Hi Michael!

> Played around with a master .cfg, however, as I don't know which
> settings shouldn't occur twice, it didn't really worked well. Please
> let me know if it's somewhere documented.

In fact no single config setting may occur twice. But mostly likely global
settings like Workdir or Interval give a conflict. Especially when you run
mrtg on the included files and not on the master file.

> All .cfg files are in one directory, the .rrd are in a seperate
> location each machine has its own directory, grouped by OS.
>
> Workdir: /path_to/rrd/OS/machine

You could use "Workdir: /path_to/rrd" and "Directory[<target>]: OS/machine"

> Cron starts a few scripts, one per OS, which will execute sequentiel
> mrtg, pointed to each .cfg and to a common logfile. The .rrd files
> will be updated and it's working really great. Did put lots of work in
> writting scripts that are autogenerating the configuration.

Sounds good. Maybe your config-generating scripts create two config files:
One for mrtg and one for 14all. Not that nice but the mrtg config syntax
isn't really suited for your setup.

Rainer