[rrd-users] gathering statistics from firewall/switch

Nuno Emanuel Rodrigues nuno.erodrigues at optimus.pt
Wed Jan 30 17:24:59 MET 2002

Hello.

I am finishing the import of my department statistics, from MRG to RRDTOOL.

Now i am trying to import the Firewall and Switch Statistics.

The data that MRTG is getting from the Firewall is : Incoming Traffic in
Bytes per Second  and   Outgoing Traffic in Bytes per Second.
And i am getting the same values from the Switch, for all ports.
The way MRTG is gathering the values its strange for me, so, we have in the
crontab mrtg executing (every 5 min) a cfg file for the firewall and another
one for the switch.
The CFG file contains a line with the  Target, where it is the IP of the
switch/firewall and the account to use, i think.
The question now is, how to do it with RRDTOOL?..... i dont think i can just
do : RRDTOOL FIREWALL.CFG
I read some mails about some extra tools, some cgis...i would prefer to do
it without any extra tool, dont want to install anything more.
If there isnt a direct way to do it with rrdtool, can i just do it using
SNMP Protocol? I am not inside SNMP, but i have a script where the number of
clients connected to a router is catched with snmpget. Its possible to use
snmpget to retrieve the desired data from the firewall and the switch?

Thank you.