[rrd-users] Re: gathering statistics from firewall/switch

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Jan 30 19:43:19 MET 2002

I don't know if I want to go there, but how do you collect data now for
the non-firewall stuff?  You do realize MRTG provides 3 separate functions -
data collection, data sotrage and data display, right?  You can replace
collection with something else, storage with RRDTool, and calls to display via RRDTool with yet something else, right?  Or, you can keep MRTG
as the collector, RRDTool as the storage medium, and some other tool
to call the display functionality from RRDTool...

You do know that to switch from MRTG to RRDTool as the back end takes
a grand total (once RRDTool is installed) of maybe an hour, depending on how
many configs you have to switch, right?

Use any collector (even MRTG) you want.  Use one you write yourself...
RRDTool does not care, as long as it gets the data every "step" seconds...

Paul

>>> Nuno Emanuel Rodrigues <nuno.erodrigues at optimus.pt> 01/30/02 11:24AM >>>

Hello.

I am finishing the import of my department statistics, from MRG to RRDTOOL.

Now i am trying to import the Firewall and Switch Statistics.

The data that MRTG is getting from the Firewall is : Incoming Traffic in
Bytes per Second  and   Outgoing Traffic in Bytes per Second.
And i am getting the same values from the Switch, for all ports.
The way MRTG is gathering the values its strange for me, so, we have in the
crontab mrtg executing (every 5 min) a cfg file for the firewall and another
one for the switch.
The CFG file contains a line with the  Target, where it is the IP of the
switch/firewall and the account to use, i think.
The question now is, how to do it with RRDTOOL?..... i dont think i can just
do : RRDTOOL FIREWALL.CFG
I read some mails about some extra tools, some cgis...i would prefer to do
it without any extra tool, dont want to install anything more.
If there isnt a direct way to do it with rrdtool, can i just do it using
SNMP Protocol? I am not inside SNMP, but i have a script where the number of
clients connected to a router is catched with snmpget. Its possible to use
snmpget to retrieve the desired data from the firewall and the switch?

Thank you.