[rrd-users] Re: Solaris 8 Compile Errors

Kalpesh Patel kpatel at dli.com
Mon Jul 15 00:43:36 MEST 2002

Is it possible that the architecture is being detected incorrectly??

This may be due to potentially using wrong version of the 'as', such as
trying to use 32 bit version for the 64 bit version of the code?

This is just a guess as I have not tried compiling on Solaris 9.

> On 7/13/02 8:24 PM, "Alex van den Bogaerdt" <alex at ergens.op.HET.NET>
> wrote:
>

> > Abid Khwaja wrote:
> >
> > Note: I'm not a solaris user.  Bare with me if this is gibberish.
> >
> >> I¹ve searched the archives but couldn¹t find anything specific to my
> >> problem.  I¹ve got all the GNU packages installed and am running Perl
5.6.1.
> >> All GNU packages and Perl were precompiled versions.  Configure
completes
> >> successfully but make generates the following errors:
> >>
> >> /usr/ccs/bin/as: "/var/tmp/ccVBGjU5.s", line 1654: error: unknown opcode
> >> ".subsection"
> >
> > "/usr/ccs/bin/as".  Is this the GNU version?  Try /usr/ccs/bin/as --help
>
> No, it's the Sun Workshop version.  Since I don't have a Sun
> compiler, I installed a precompiled gcc - this didn't come with its
> own as.
>

> >> SMCgcc301       gcc
> >>                  (sparc) 3.0.1
> >
> > Not sure but I think this should include another copy of "as".

PATH=/usr/symcli/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/SUNWspro/

bin:/usr/ucb:/etc:/usr/openwin/bin:/opt/SUNWmd/sbin:/usr/opt/WIZCOM/bin:/sbi

n/nsr:/usr/bin/nsr:/opt/VRTSvxva/bin:/opt/VRTSvmsa/bin:/etc/vx/bin:/usr/lib/
> >> fs/vxfs:/opt/VRTSvcs/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/opt/RICHPse/bin:.
> >
> > You wrote that the installed packages are in /usr/local.  Maybe there's
> > a symlink inside /usr/symcli/bin, /bin, /usr/bin or /usr/sbin pointing
> > to /usr/ccs/bin/as ?
> >
> > Also check the generated makefiles, override the location of AS etc.
> >
> > HTH
>
> I checked the entire machine; there's only 1 copy of as and it's in
> /usr/ccs/bin.
>
> Interestingly, I have another machine on which I tried to compile
> and it worked fine on that one even though that machine also only
> has a single copy of as in /usr/ccs/bin.  There are many differences
> between the two machines to trying to pinpoint why the compile works
> on one but not the other is proving difficult.
>
> --

Distance Learning, Inc.
135 5th Avenue, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10010