[rrd-users] Re: Front-end suggestions ? - comments

James Schnack acrux14 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 4 02:16:30 MEST 2002

Thanks a lot to Don and Mark for their insight. I will keep in mind your
opinions & suggestions.

I have some questions regarding Mark's comments:

>-  read the tutorials from Alex van den Bogaerdt  .  and then re-read them
>(heh)
I have. And I have.  ;-)

>-  I found that it was best for me to write my own frontend to rrdtool.
What was the best way you found to do that ? Did you use rrdcgi ? Or maybe
the RRDs module and "regular" perl cgi scripts ? (This sounds to me as more
efficient and orderly way to do it.)

>- Each server/metric combination is its own rrd file
Ok. I like that.

>- alarms - this is likely a function of the data collector, not rrdtool,
Mmmm, yes, you're right. So I guess I could include threshold checking in my
data-collecting perl scripts, which will be using 'snmpget' and 'rrdtool
update' to do the job. Does this make sense ?

>though you can use mrtg fetch to see recent values (sort of expensive
>though).   rrdtool's primary strengths seem to me to be visual.   btw -
>mrtg has alert capability also.
Yeah, but I was planning to leave MRTG out of the picture.

>- I am using the "rrdtool fetch" to build a way for my automation to
>"learn" what is normal and then alert when it is not.    so...  dynamic
>thresholds - a  way to use the rrd files not only for graphics, but also
>for backend "knowledge"
Cool!

>hope this helps
Sure did!