[rrd-users] 2 wishes in creating archives

Stefan Huelbrock stefan at huelbrock.de
Wed Jun 12 13:05:50 MEST 2002

Hello,
I'm currently creating a small setup with rrd (1.0.38) for monitoring of a squid proxy. To be honest, I'm a
newbie but I read over the manuals and didn't acutally find what I was looking for:

1st problem: I created 2 graphs which draw proxy throughputs and the number or proxy requests over the
time domain.  But I'd rather draw both in the same graph. Unfortunately they don't scale identical... May
happen that 10 Requests == 1000 Bytes, may be that 10 Requests == 100MBytes. Normally the number of
requests is much smaller than the number of bytes transferred, so the number of requests if "flattened out" to
the x-axis. Multiplying a fixed value doesn't help because it isn't fixed, not nearly.
So what I guess what I need is a graph with 2 scales on the y-Axis. I didn't find such a thing but consider it
useful. (Call me strange. Remebering my math I guess I never seen such a thing. But really... I would like it.
(or even I'm maybe not strange and there is a possibility to get such an effect?)) I guess that this is a 1/0
question. Either there is such a thing or not ;-)

2nd problem seems to be bigger and is harder to explain (at least I guess):
I plot (at least part of the graphs) with rather high res (1minute scale). And because I'm depending on the
squids access-log I get really "fuzzy" Values, that  means big differences from timestep to timestep.
(Reason behind this is that the access log reports a transfer as it is completed, not while it's in progress. That
means that with a E1-line I sometimes get legal values that are far beyond the legal limit of 15MBytes/min
when large transfers are completed and in the next minute very small values.) What I would like to have is the
"background" of the "fuzzy" values with a drawn in floating average. This should resemble something like
the 30-day average you see (at least in german) stock market charts or like the 5 minutes load value of a *nix
system. And I don't have the slightest idea how to produce this. (ok, I have an idea, I could get me a perl
script that calculates these values before they are put in the rrd  database as an extra datasource (already
did that), but I would consider it more elegant (and straightforward) when they'd be calculated at running
time.)

Hope theres someone who can help
Regards
Stefan