[rrd-users] Re: 2 wishes in creating archives

Milan Obuch milan.obuch at in.nextra.sk
Wed Jun 12 13:20:56 MEST 2002

Hi, Stefan,

On Wednesday 12 June 2002 13:05, you wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm currently creating a small setup with rrd (1.0.38) for monitoring of a
> squid proxy. To be honest, I'm a newbie but I read over the manuals and
> didn't acutally find what I was looking for:
>
> 1st problem: I created 2 graphs which draw proxy throughputs and the number
> or proxy requests over the time domain.  But I'd rather draw both in the
> same graph. Unfortunately they don't scale identical... May happen that 10
> Requests == 1000 Bytes, may be that 10 Requests == 100MBytes. Normally the
> number of requests is much smaller than the number of bytes transferred, so
> the number of requests if "flattened out" to the x-axis. Multiplying a
> fixed value doesn't help because it isn't fixed, not nearly. So what I
> guess what I need is a graph with 2 scales on the y-Axis. I didn't find
> such a thing but consider it useful. (Call me strange. Remebering my math I
> guess I never seen such a thing. But really... I would like it. (or even
> I'm maybe not strange and there is a possibility to get such an effect?)) I
> guess that this is a 1/0 question. Either there is such a thing or not ;-)

You could use image overlay function to do this. Just generate first image
with one variable, then use it as background for second variable. I use this
for ping RTT vs packetloss display. If you need more on this, do not hesitate
to contact me, but first look in docs description for --background and
--overlay options. It requires two runs of rrdtools, but works. I put it
together to work to my need, so it is a sort of quick hack, but this was my
starting point to do this.

> 2nd problem seems to be bigger and is harder to explain (at least I guess):
> I plot (at least part of the graphs) with rather high res (1minute scale).
> And because I'm depending on the squids access-log I get really "fuzzy"
> Values, that  means big differences from timestep to timestep. (Reason
> behind this is that the access log reports a transfer as it is completed,
> not while it's in progress. That means that with a E1-line I sometimes get
> legal values that are far beyond the legal limit of 15MBytes/min when large
> transfers are completed and in the next minute very small values.) What I
> would like to have is the "background" of the "fuzzy" values with a drawn
> in floating average. This should resemble something like the 30-day average
> you see (at least in german) stock market charts or like the 5 minutes load
> value of a *nix system. And I don't have the slightest idea how to produce
> this. (ok, I have an idea, I could get me a perl script that calculates
> these values before they are put in the rrd  database as an extra
> datasource (already did that), but I would consider it more elegant (and
> straightforward) when they'd be calculated at running time.)

I think this is achievable with some RRA definition, using AVERAGE CF. If you
could ilustrate this with some (maybe "hand"-generated) graph, it will be
easier to address this.

> Hope theres someone who can help
> Regards
> Stefan