[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool - 2 improvements.

Milan Obuch milan.obuch at in.nextra.sk
Thu Jun 13 16:07:22 MEST 2002

On Thursday 13 June 2002 16:00, you wrote:
> There's 2 things imho that could be improved in rrdtool:
>
> 1. Make it possible to use something other than (epoch) time for the
> x-axis. I might wanna plot altitude to distance or something.

rrd is optimized for displaying time series data. I am not sure if this is OK
to implement - rrd is not intended for general graph creation.

> 2. Make is possible to output the image to standardout, in stead of a file.
>     This may sound minor but would make it far easier to handle rrdtool
> from other programs.

Did you tried dash '-' as filename? Should be exactly the requested thing.

> 3. Make it possible to get all input from standard in, not from file.rrd

file.rrd is binary format, anyway, dash could be used to indicate this. Some
hacking is necessary, but it is doable.

> And to make a wild feature request too:
> 4. Output to svg format. ;-)

I think this is implemented in 1.1.x.

> I hope other people have an opinion about these possible features too.
>
> kind regards,

M. Obuch