[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool - 2 improvements.

Iain Buchanan iain at pcorp.com.au
Fri Jun 14 06:14:25 MEST 2002

Milan Obuch wrote:
 > On Thursday 13 June 2002 16:00, you wrote:
 >
 >>There's 2 things imho that could be improved in rrdtool:
 >>
 >>1. Make it possible to use something other than (epoch) time for the
 >>x-axis. I might wanna plot altitude to distance or something.
 >

 > rrd is optimized for displaying time series data. I am not sure if
this is OK
 > to implement - rrd is not intended for general graph creation.

I understand that there would be complications with altering rrdtool
such that it could handle different types of data, but the reason I
first started using it was for its (superior :) graphing capabilities.
I looked high and low for a similar 'free' tool to create graphs and
found none.  I would like to see rrdtool extended to handle time data
that occurs more than once a second, or where an accuracy of greater
than once a second is required.

 > <snip>
 >>3. Make it possible to get all input from standard in, not from file.rrd

It is a small trade off to create an rrd first before creating the
graph, but I would be curious to see how a stdin interface to rrdgraph,
much like rrdtool update, would work (my data comes all at once with
time stamps).  But then thinking about it, rrdtool would have to store
this data somewhere anyway while it was waiting for it to finish
arriving, hence an rrd!

--
Iain Buchanan