[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool - 2 improvements.

Milan Obuch milan.obuch at in.nextra.sk
Fri Jun 14 07:44:27 MEST 2002

On Friday 14 June 2002 06:14, Iain Buchanan wrote:
> Milan Obuch wrote:
>  > On Thursday 13 June 2002 16:00, you wrote:
>  >>There's 2 things imho that could be improved in rrdtool:
>  >>
>  >>1. Make it possible to use something other than (epoch) time for the
>  >>x-axis. I might wanna plot altitude to distance or something.
>  >
>  > rrd is optimized for displaying time series data. I am not sure if
>
> this is OK
>
>  > to implement - rrd is not intended for general graph creation.
>
> I understand that there would be complications with altering rrdtool
> such that it could handle different types of data, but the reason I
> first started using it was for its (superior :) graphing capabilities.
> I looked high and low for a similar 'free' tool to create graphs and
> found none.  I would like to see rrdtool extended to handle time data
> that occurs more than once a second, or where an accuracy of greater
> than once a second is required.

Well, add sub-second granularity could be fine and looks like a reasonable
enhancement to rrd, but I thing internal .rrd file format needs to be changed
or extended to accomodate this. Maybe 'create --fractional' or something like
this to create this modified file and a flag in file itself to indicate this
could accomplish this. Other thoughts?

>  > <snip>
>  >
>  >>3. Make it possible to get all input from standard in, not from file.rrd
>
> It is a small trade off to create an rrd first before creating the
> graph, but I would be curious to see how a stdin interface to rrdgraph,
> much like rrdtool update, would work (my data comes all at once with
> time stamps).  But then thinking about it, rrdtool would have to store
> this data somewhere anyway while it was waiting for it to finish
> arriving, hence an rrd!

Thinking about it, alternate input from stdin MAY be useful in some
situations, when data to be displayed are produced by some more complicated
formulas and need not to be stored between two runs due to being generated
from somewhere else stored and updated files. Dash ('-') seems to be easy to
understand stdin indicator, but I have no idea how the input stream should be
arranged. Maybe others could contribute some more thoughts to prepare
well-thought feature to add...
Milan