[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool - 2 improvements.

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Fri Jun 14 07:37:26 MEST 2002

Today Iain Buchanan wrote:

> Milan Obuch wrote:
>  > On Thursday 13 June 2002 16:00, you wrote:
>  >
>  >>There's 2 things imho that could be improved in rrdtool:
>  >>
>  >>1. Make it possible to use something other than (epoch) time for the
>  >>x-axis. I might wanna plot altitude to distance or something.
>  >
>  >
>  > rrd is optimized for displaying time series data. I am not sure if
> this is OK
>  > to implement - rrd is not intended for general graph creation.
>
> I understand that there would be complications with altering rrdtool
> such that it could handle different types of data, but the reason I
> first started using it was for its (superior :) graphing capabilities.
> I looked high and low for a similar 'free' tool to create graphs and
> found none.  I would like to see rrdtool extended to handle time data
> that occurs more than once a second, or where an accuracy of greater
> than once a second is required.

this can certainly be done and has been discussed on the developers
list ... check the archives ...

>  > <snip>
>  >>3. Make it possible to get all input from standard in, not from file.rrd
>
> It is a small trade off to create an rrd first before creating the
> graph, but I would be curious to see how a stdin interface to rrdgraph,
> much like rrdtool update, would work (my data comes all at once with
> time stamps).  But then thinking about it, rrdtool would have to store
> this data somewhere anyway while it was waiting for it to finish
> arriving, hence an rrd!

the way todo this is provide an alternate rrd_fetch function ...
but it would be up to you to provide data evenly spaced along the
time axis ...

tobi

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland