[rrd-users] FW: MRTG to RRD conversion loses all data.

Ruehlen, Matt mruehlen at serengetilaw.com
Wed Jun 19 20:49:40 MEST 2002

Hello again,

I recently sent a request for help with MRTG to RRD conversion (the post-migration rrd files contained no data).  I have found that this only happens for SNMP variables polled with MRTG's "perminute" option.  I have searched the list archives, and it appears the log2rrd was patched to handle the perminute option some time ago, but it doesn't work for me.  If I remove the "perminute" option from the .cfg file before running the conversion, the RRD files are populated with the log file data, but, of course, it is placing perminute data in an rrd file that it subsequently stores per second data in.

I have tried using a perl script to divide the log file data by 60 before running the conversion, but the conversion just posts any value less than 1 as undefined.  For example, if an entry in my perminute log file looks like "1024331400 25 0 31 0", it ends up as "1024331400 0.4166666666666667 0 0.5166666666666667 0" after my divide by 60.  The rrd conversion results in an RRD file with all data points undefined.

Does anyone have a way to reliably convert perminute polled data to rrd format?

Thanks for your time,
Matt Ruehlen
Network Operations
Serengeti, Inc.