[rrd-users] ?subjectþlp->problem:1024958460: NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ

Peter.Janda at na.manpower.com Peter.Janda at na.manpower.com
Tue Jun 25 16:23:06 MEST 2002

---------------------- Forwarded by Peter M. Janda/66260/IS/CORP/Manpower
on 06/25/2002 09:22 AM ---------------------------

Peter M. Janda
Technical Support
06/25/2002 09:20 AM

MANPOWER

To:    rrd-users-request at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject:    ?subject=help->problem:1024958460: NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ

cc:

I have been struggling with obtaining good output from rrdtool. I thought I would start out with a simple (?) iostat at a reasonable interval (so far
not determined).
Below is the output I am receiving, followed by the rrdtool info output (which shows weird ".last_ds" values), followed by a text version of the data
that should (I hope)
is supposed to be building the database. I want to make available graphs on all such data that others can view during the day (so I have hopes that
the database will
refresh itself at aybe one -two hour intervals). If this is not what the tool is intended for please let me know that too. If it is only meant to show
 yesterday's stats (at best)
then I can at least  know (and distribute to my boss(es)) what the limitations are (without huge development time invested).

> finddisk.sh      [output of fetch command in script]

                   active           tps        kbread       kbwrite

1024958460: NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ
1024958470: NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ
1024958480: NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ

                   active           tps        kbread       kbwrite

1024958460: NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ
1024958470: NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ
1024958480: NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ

                   active           tps        kbread       kbwrite

1024958460: NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ
1024958470: NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ
1024958480: NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ NaNQ

[output of rrdtool info command]

filename = "db/hdisk0.rrd"
rrd_version = "0001"
step = 10
last_update = 1024958461
ds[active].type = "COUNTER"
ds[active].minimal_heartbeat = 2
ds[active].min = 0.0000000000e+00
ds[active].max = 1.2560000000e+06
ds[active].last_ds = "0,N"
ds[active].value = 0.0000000000e+00
ds[active].unknown_sec = 1
ds[tps].type = "COUNTER"
ds[tps].minimal_heartbeat = 2
ds[tps].min = 0.0000000000e+00
ds[tps].max = 1.2560000000e+06
ds[tps].last_ds = "0,N"
ds[tps].value = 0.0000000000e+00
ds[tps].unknown_sec = 1
ds[kbread].type = "COUNTER"
ds[kbread].minimal_heartbeat = 2
ds[kbread].min = 0.0000000000e+00
ds[kbread].max = 1.2560000000e+06
ds[kbread].last_ds = "644130,N"
ds[kbread].value = 0.0000000000e+00
ds[kbread].unknown_sec = 1
ds[kbwrite].type = "COUNTER"
ds[kbwrite].minimal_heartbeat = 2
ds[kbwrite].min = 0.0000000000e+00
ds[kbwrite].max = 1.2560000000e+06
ds[kbwrite].last_ds = "0"
ds[kbwrite].value = 0.0000000000e+00
ds[kbwrite].unknown_sec = 1
rra[0].cf = "AVERAGE"
rra[0].rows = 52560
rra[0].pdp_per_row = 1
rra[0].xff = 5.0000000000e-01
rra[0].cdp_prep[0].value = NaN
rra[0].cdp_prep[0].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[0].cdp_prep[1].value = NaN
rra[0].cdp_prep[1].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[0].cdp_prep[2].value = NaN
rra[0].cdp_prep[2].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[0].cdp_prep[3].value = NaN
rra[0].cdp_prep[3].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[1].cf = "AVERAGE"
rra[1].rows = 52560
rra[1].pdp_per_row = 1
rra[1].xff = 5.0000000000e-01
rra[1].cdp_prep[0].value = NaN
rra[1].cdp_prep[0].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[1].cdp_prep[1].value = NaN
rra[1].cdp_prep[1].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[1].cdp_prep[2].value = NaN
rra[1].cdp_prep[2].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[1].cdp_prep[3].value = NaN
rra[1].cdp_prep[3].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[2].cf = "AVERAGE"
rra[2].rows = 52560
rra[2].pdp_per_row = 1
rra[2].xff = 5.0000000000e-01
rra[2].cdp_prep[0].value = NaN
rra[2].cdp_prep[0].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[2].cdp_prep[1].value = NaN
rra[2].cdp_prep[1].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[2].cdp_prep[2].value = NaN
rra[2].cdp_prep[2].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[2].cdp_prep[3].value = NaN
rra[2].cdp_prep[3].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[3].cf = "AVERAGE"
rra[3].rows = 52560
rra[3].pdp_per_row = 1
rra[3].xff = 5.0000000000e-01
rra[3].cdp_prep[0].value = NaN
rra[3].cdp_prep[0].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[3].cdp_prep[1].value = NaN
rra[3].cdp_prep[1].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[3].cdp_prep[2].value = NaN
rra[3].cdp_prep[2].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[3].cdp_prep[3].value = NaN
rra[3].cdp_prep[3].unknown_datapoints = 0

[output of the values that should be accumulating]

[root at SP014] > more disk/hdisk0.txt
0 0 637815 0
0 0 637815 0
0 0 637815 0
0 0 637815 0
0 0 637815 0
0 0 642025 0
0 0 643077 0
0 0 643077 0
0 0 643077 0
0 0 644130 0
0 0 644130 0
0 0 644130 0
0 0 644130 0

Thanks in advance for any help offered. After reading a previous issue in the archive I will change my step sizes. If I am interpreting things right
it appears that there needs to be enough lag time between
the combination of iostat interval, database interval, and processing time to capture the output. The script attempts to run the iostat across the
entire system and then determine the individual disk stats.
I am concerned that as the number of disks on any one system grows/changes the numbers/steps will need to be continually massaged per system.

Perhaps another approach is in line.

Peter Janda