[rrd-users] Re: Calculating traffic

Serge Maandag serge.maandag at staff.zeelandnet.nl
Tue Jun 25 17:12:55 MEST 2002

Well, if I'm correct:

Your step is 60 and your heartbeat is 600. Your hires RRA has a xff of
0.5.

So your graph will have a resolution of 1 value per 10 minutes tops
(600). Your RRD expects to be updated every minute (60). That makes 10
updates per value. Your DS will have the average value of those 10
updates. If you miss more than 5 of those updates (0.5x10), you're value
will be regarded unknown.

Since you're accounting traffic, you could update your RRA at a much
larger interval than once per minute. It saves on cpu and snmp traffic.
Choose the largest interval in which your counters do not overflow. try
half an hour for starters. If your updates don't fail often, you don't
need multiple updates per value (which is called CDP). If so, make the
step size equal to the heartbeat of your DS.

  rrdtool create port_xxx.rdd --step 1800 \
  DS:in:COUNTER:1800:U:U                 \
  DS:out:COUNTER:1800:U:U                \
  RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:100                 \

Serge Maandag