[rrd-users] Re: Monitor TCP Traffic (ftp, http, other..)

Logg, Connie A. cal at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Sat Mar 2 01:04:50 MET 2002

You need to define what you mean by "monitor" and what your
equipment will let you do.

I have addressed in detail some aspects of this type of traffic monitoring in

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/comp/net/netflow/SLAC-Netflow.html

Currently I am using netflow, however in the past I have done the same thing
with strategically placing rmon1 and rmon2 probes around the network.

There are several vendors which provide products to do what you want. They not
only have the software but the hardware.

Check some of the trade magazines, and go to a convention something like
Networld+ Interop in May 2002.

There is an awful lot to learn.

Connie Logg - Network Analyst - 650-926-2879
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
MS 97; 2575 SandHill Road; Menlo Park CA 94025
"Happiness is found along the way, not at the end of the road"