[rrd-users] Re: Monitor TCP Traffic (ftp, http, other..)

spiekey spiekey at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 2 01:33:09 MET 2002

Hello!

> You need to define what you mean by "monitor" and what your
> equipment will let you do.

By Monitor i mean that i have an SuSE7.3 Server and i wanna display its
traffic with a graph, like this:
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/gallery/at-01.html

just with the values (MB).

> I have addressed in detail some aspects of this type of traffic monitoring
in

> http://www.slac.stanford.edu/comp/net/netflow/SLAC-Netflow.html

exactly like that (but this is about breakdowns, isnt it?):
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/comp/net/netflow/tcpeach.html

was that done with rrdtool and snmp?

> Currently I am using netflow, however in the past I have done the same
thing
> with strategically placing rmon1 and rmon2 probes around the network.
>
> There are several vendors which provide products to do what you want. They
not
> only have the software but the hardware.
>
> Check some of the trade magazines, and go to a convention something like
> Networld+ Interop in May 2002.
>
> There is an awful lot to learn.

uffff, i know ;D