[rrd-users] Re: mysql backend

Florin Andrei florin at sgi.com
Wed Mar 27 02:42:32 MET 2002

Well, i would like to run some queries on the data. Since almost all of
our data is in SQL (MySQL, Oracle, Sybase), it's kind of difficult to
use something else for the data that's collected in rrdtool (actually,
collected with NMIS, with rrdtool as a backend).
rrdtool is cool (i'm a long-time mrtg user, so you understand me when i
say i like rrd), but it lacks the ability to be remotely queried (at a
low level, not at the high-level offered through the web interface) with
the same ease as standard SQL servers.

And i think it should be equally easy (or difficult) to use MySQL to
just store the data, while continuing to use rrdtool to perform the
logic and all that stuff. Only the lowest-level data repository changes,
the tool remains the same.

One year ago or something like that, someone on the list tried to extend
rrdtool with a MySQL backend. I wonder what happened with that
project...