[rrd-users] Re: mysql backend

Olivier Nicole on at cs.ait.ac.th
Wed Mar 27 03:42:37 MET 2002

> Well, i would like to run some queries on the data. Since almost all of
> our data is in SQL (MySQL, Oracle, Sybase), it's kind of difficult to
> use something else for the data that's collected in rrdtool (actually,
> collected with NMIS, with rrdtool as a backend).
> rrdtool is cool (i'm a long-time mrtg user, so you understand me when i
> say i like rrd), but it lacks the ability to be remotely queried (at a
> low level, not at the high-level offered through the web interface) with
> the same ease as standard SQL servers.

I agree on the logic.

What I currently do is:

1) I have a probe that collects data and store in a MySQL db
2) I have a cron that every 5 minutes test the time stamp of the LAST value
   in RRD and MySQL and update RRD db

As eventually my probe stores data on a local disk in the case MySQL
is unavailable, I acheive a better un-dependency between the different
components (get the value, store it and display it).

Olivier