[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool update not updating?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sat Nov 2 17:26:20 MET 2002

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 03:31:06PM +0100, Kees Hoekzema wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I have a strange problem. I'm updating 3 rrd's every five minutes, with kind
> large values.
> The rrdtool update syntax is:

[removed single updates ]

> ./rrdtool create eth0.rrd -s 300 \
>     DS:bup:COUNTER:600:0:100 \

maximum of 100

>     DS:bdown:COUNTER:600:0:100 \

maximum of 100

>     DS:pup:COUNTER:600:0:100 \

maximum of 100

>     DS:pdown:COUNTER:600:0:100 \

maximum of 100

>     RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:288 \
>     RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:336 \
>     RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:360 \
>     RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:365

You cannot tell anything from a single update value.  A counter is the
difference between two updates, divided by the difference in time.

Log the values you're giving to RRDtool, compute the rate yourself and
see if it is allowed.  My guess is that you won't have an eth0 nor an
eth1 interface that has a maximum throughput of just 100 bytes per second...

Alex