[rrd-users] handling rotated logs

Jim Breton jamesb-lists at alongtheway.com
Thu Nov 21 07:54:43 MET 2002

I have a problem where I am counting statistics on mail delivery: messages
delivered, messages rejected, and messages "tagged" by Spam Assassin.

I gather the stats using simple greps on the current mail log file.
However, the logs are rotated nightly and RRDTool assumes an overflow.

This is the same problem described here:

http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/rrd-users/msg00239.html

Two follow-ups were posted to him (which are linked from that page): one
was to use an Unknown entry when the logs are rotated, the other was to
use an ABSOLUTE DST (which, if I understand correctly, would require me to
do the math myself to find the delta -- so I'd need to save the old value
in a temp file?).

Reason I am posting is because it's been over 3 years since that
discussion, and I would like to know if there's now a more appropriate or
automatic solution to this problem than the ones suggested above.

Thanks.