[rrd-users] Re: handling rotated logs

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Nov 21 10:24:42 MET 2002

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 06:54:43AM +0000, Jim Breton wrote:

> use an ABSOLUTE DST (which, if I understand correctly, would require me to
> do the math myself to find the delta -- so I'd need to save the old value
> in a temp file?).

You have one fixed amount of time (the duration of each log)
and the number of <whatever> per this fixed time.

To me it seems that you want to collect your data using GAUGE.

If you get 172800 messages each day, this is -->on average<-- 2 msg
per second.  Just divide this number (172800) by the number of seconds
lapsed (86400).

If you count the number of messages multiple times per day and thus
get a real wrap then yes, use either the NaN approach or the ABSOLUTE
approach.

Both ways would involve programming a front-end for RRDtool.  When
you ask for automation you are asking for a front-end.

HTH
Alex