[rrd-users] Re: SNMP IfInOctets negative

Simon Leinen simon at limmat.switch.ch
Sun Oct 6 16:51:21 MEST 2002

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 07:50:30 -0400, "Linders, Jan (GEP)" <jan.linders at GEPEX.GE.com> said:
> I'm wondering if someone came across the issue of
> a counter being negative in Windows NT 4.

> I'm retrieving via WMI the SNMP IfInOctets counter and I store it
> into a RRD file.
> However the value for InBytes shows really high in the generated
> graph, so I looked at the incoming data.
> To my surprise the IfInOctets counter value was negative.

How did you get at the counter value? I.e. which SNMP manager tool did
you use, and which agent did you get the values from?

> I'm a facing a problem that cannot be handled by RRD-Tool ?
> Is it a SNMP feature ?

Hard to say.  But counters always have base types that are unsigned,
so negative values should NEVER HAPPEN.

> Can you please help, I'm stuck right now.

You should really find out whether the SNMP agent or the manager
software is at fault.  Then you have to get that fixed.

If your manager software is MRTG, or something else that is based on
my Perl SNMP library, then you have to get the agent fixed.  With
other manager software you may be able to implement a workaround even
if the agent is broken.  But in any case if the agent is broken, you
really want to get that fixed.

Regards,
--
Simon.