[rrd-users] Re: another mrtg newbie question (aggregate graphs)

Serge Maandag serge.maandag at staff.zeelandnet.nl
Thu Oct 10 15:23:22 MEST 2002

Hmm, my point was more: copy and paste the errors.

The problem is probably in talking snmp to your devices and not in mrtg.
Have you setup your router for snmp? (Cisco -> snmp-server community...)

Try this first:

>From your command line do: snmpwalk <ip of device> communitystring
system

That is for instance: snmpwalk 10.11.11.12 public system

And see if it returns anything. If not:
- your router isn't running a snmp agent
- your router is not configured for snmp appropriately
- an access-list is blocking you
- you're using the wrong community.

Please note the communitystring is a password. Don't use "public". Any
hacker can guess that.

serge.