[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool - how to graph a daily number - printed pages

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Thu Oct 10 16:54:41 MEST 2002

Today Donald Mahler wrote:

> I have been working at this off and on for a few weeks now and can't seem
> to get it to work.  My task:  provide an hourly and daily graph of printed
> pages by my network printers.
>
> the number I get via snmp is an incrementing counter.   I had thought I
> could do it by just polling once a day and then trying to graph from day to
> day.   but that seems to always graph the total of the counter (printed 3M
> pages?  I doubt it :-) .
>
> My new plan is to poll/update all thru the day and then use the CDEF to
> total it up for 24 hours.      will that work?     in general, is the right
> way to do this to poll thru the day (step at 30 min), and then add up to 24
> hrs using a cdef?    does anyone have an example of this?

The right way is:

setup an rrdfile with DST COUNTER

then poll every hour

at in the graph, graph

use CDEF to mutliply the data in the RRD by 3600*24 and put the
legend 'pages/per day' on the graph

tobi

cheers
tobi

> thanks for any help
>
> Don Mahler
>

> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / phoneto:+41(0)1-632-5286  faxto:+41(0)1-632-1517
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://google.com/search?q=tobi