[rrd-users] rrdtool - how to graph a daily number - printed pages

Donald Mahler dmahler at telcordia.com
Thu Oct 10 16:40:32 MEST 2002

I have been working at this off and on for a few weeks now and can't seem
to get it to work.  My task:  provide an hourly and daily graph of printed
pages by my network printers.

the number I get via snmp is an incrementing counter.   I had thought I
could do it by just polling once a day and then trying to graph from day to
day.   but that seems to always graph the total of the counter (printed 3M
pages?  I doubt it :-) .

My new plan is to poll/update all thru the day and then use the CDEF to
total it up for 24 hours.      will that work?     in general, is the right
way to do this to poll thru the day (step at 30 min), and then add up to 24
hrs using a cdef?    does anyone have an example of this?

I am using rrdtool for all kinds of counters, but they are all network
oriented with smaller polling cycles.

thanks for any help

Don Mahler