[rrd-users] Re: Explanation of 'format' structure for PRINT command

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sat Oct 12 00:16:43 MEST 2002

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 02:06:01PM -0400, Carter, Steve wrote:

> I have read the manual on the PRINT function of the command but can someone
> explain the correct syntax and meanings of the options for the format
> option. - %le, %lf, etc.

This is based on printf().   Just look this up; if you're on windows then you
should be able to find the manual using google or alike.

> Also, once I have the correct formatting, how do I add text to identify what
> it represents. And is there any control over the placement of the results if
> I do more than one.

"Average temperature %6.2lfF"  will print "Average temperature 123.45F"

You cannot print more than one value per PRINT statement (nor can you when
using GPRINT for the matter).  Just use more than one PRINT statement and
the lines are printed in the order you specified.

Printing unknowns/NaN values is platform dependent.  You'll have to find out
what yours does (well, you already did I guess) and filter for it in the
receiving program (the one doing the rrdtool call).

HTH
Alex