[rrd-users] Re: Calculating percentages over time

tallen at csc.sctboces.org tallen at csc.sctboces.org
Thu Oct 31 17:23:37 MET 2002

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 10:19:14AM -0500, tallen at csc.sctboces.org wrote:
>
> > I'm graphing different subnets for billing purposes.  Using GPRINT, I can get
> > AVERAGE bandwidth by subnet and in total, over the period of the graph,
> > easy.  I can calculate the % used then by that subnet, again easy.  But if
> > I do the percentages in the graph, the numbers get skewed, because it does
> > an AVERAGE percentage, rather than a percentage of the averages.
>
> First calculate the ratio (in a CDEF) then take the percentage?

The ratio is the percentage.

> > In other
> > words, if one subnet is active all night long, and no one else is on, that
> > subnet gets billed for 100% usage for the entire night, irregardless of
> > how much bandwidth they actually used.  I have a graph where 2 subnets
>
> That's right, because whatever amount of data they've sent, it will be
> 100% if they're the only one talking !?
>
> Even if they used the amazing amount of just one byte, that single one
> byte is 100% of the total amount of bytes sent during that night.
>
> So, if that's not your problem, what problem *do* you try to solve?

That is the problem.  I need to get the averages of total used and
customer used, then do the math.  If I do it with a CDEF, the night-time
traffic weighs in way to much.  I don't want to charge a customer for 100%
of 14 mb/s if they use 1k/s, I just want to charge for 1k/s.  If you're
saying I can get the averages over the span of the graph and do tne math
with a CDEF, please tell me how.  Or in the alternative, can math be done
in a GPRINT, or a simple perl script?

Thanks,

Tom