[rrd-users] Re: Calculating percentages over time

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Oct 31 23:30:04 MET 2002

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 11:23:37AM -0500, tallen at csc.sctboces.org wrote:

> > So, if that's not your problem, what problem *do* you try to solve?
>
> That is the problem.  I need to get the averages of total used and
> customer used, then do the math.  If I do it with a CDEF, the night-time
> traffic weighs in way to much.  I don't want to charge a customer for 100%
> of 14 mb/s if they use 1k/s, I just want to charge for 1k/s.

You're not making sense.  This confuses me and I think it even confuses
yourself.

First you say the customer is the only one producing traffic.  I respond
that in such a case it is perfectly OK to show 100% usage.

*Then* you come up with *other* traffic.

> If you're
> saying I can get the averages over the span of the graph and do tne math
> with a CDEF, please tell me how.

I cannot tell you how to do it if I don't know what you're trying to do.
Obviously you don't want to calculate a 1:14000 ratio (1k out of 14M)
because you rejected this ratio.

If you try to say you want to monitor the amount of bytes sent then do a
search on the archived list content.  It has been discussed many times.

While you're there, do read the archive.  There's plenty of usefull info
not only from me but also from others. Not only covering this subject but
also many other subjects you want to know.