[rrd-users] C calls in rrdtool

tome anticic anticic at trinity.irb.hr
Mon Sep 9 22:48:12 MEST 2002

Hi,

I probably have a rather naive question concerning rrdtool. I know it
is possible to have rrdtool commands as system commands or as perl
calls.

But is it possible to have rrdtool commands from a C program?
I am developing a C (actually C++) monitoring program, and each time an
rrdtool call is made I use the  system("rrdtool update ...") calls.

These system calls seem to me a waste of CPU, as I have to make hundreds
of them every few seconds. Is it possble to link
rrdtool libraries to have in my C program something like
rrdtool_update(...) or rrdtool_fetch?

Also, could there be any locking problems with different processes reading
at the same time from the same rrd file, while one process writes to it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

	Tome