[rrd-users] Re: Problem: RRDTool-Performance

chihung at aspcentre.org chihung at aspcentre.org
Fri Sep 27 16:21:04 MEST 2002

If you are having 90000 files in a directory, you may have a DNLC
(Directory Name Lookup Cache) performance problem. Check it
with "vmstat -s" to see your "name lookups (cache hits xx%)". If your
system falls below 90%, that means you need to tune your OS by
increasing the "ufs_ninode" and "ncsize". These two parameters are
configured automatically based on your RAM.

If your file name is longer than 30 characters, solaris may not cache
the inode info (I think).

The best bet will be to consolidate common parameters in one rrd file,
eg ifInOctets, ifOutOctets, ifInErrors, ifOutErrors related to a
interface/port in one rrd and try to keep the file name nice and short.

Hope this helps.
--Chi Hung Chan
  Systems Manager
  ASP Centre (www.aspcentre.org)