[rrd-users] Re: Problem: RRDTool-Performance

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sat Sep 28 01:14:46 MEST 2002

Yesterday roman at neofonie.de wrote:

> Hi Users, hi Tobi,
>
> in our firma we are building a network monitoring tool. This application
> collects in specified intervals values via SNMP and stores they in rrd-files,
> every value in a single file, because of flexibility reasons. At this time ca.
> 90000 values are collected.
> Now we must tune our application so that it can store these 90000 values in
> 90000 rrd-files in 5 minutes. But rrdtool seems not to be able to do it in this
> time. We had try it in parallel processes and seriell too, but our best solution
> was a time of 20 minutes. As OS we use a normal speed sparc-solaris box.
>
> Maybe anybody of you have ideas to speed up rrdtool according to these
> requirements, respectivly find reasons for this relativ slow action.
>

> Many thanks to you
>
> R°man, neofonie GmbH

Hi Roman,

That is 300 updates a second, if these updates have to go to disk
directly, there will be a problem I guess. (much worse if the disk
is not local). If you machine has enough memory to cach all the
files performance can be up to 1000 updates per second ... try with
fewer instances and you will see that at some number of files
performance will litterally jump through the roof ...

Also if the 90000 files are in one directory this would poof to be
problematic ...

tobi

> P.S.: sorry for my bad english....
>
> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / phoneto:+41(0)1-632-5286  faxto:+41(0)1-632-1517
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://google.com/search?q=tobi