[rrd-users] Re: Correct?

Ketan Patel k2pattu at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 19:34:15 MEST 2003

This seems correct since data types are gauges. But, why would you store username in a database this way? Database will have different/same usernames as the case may be. But when you retrieve the data, I guess you will retrieve it based on the time and not username. If you plot a graph using those retrived unames, I can just imagine how the graph will look like.
cheers
k2
 Chris Flanigan <chris at whosyourdaddy.biz> wrote:I have data that I'm wanting to graph and I'd like to get an ok, or
confirmation that my train of thought is correct. I'm new to RRDTool, and
I've read all of the documents that I can get my hands on.

rrdtool create example.rrd
DS:uid:GUAGE:U:U
DS:user:GUAGE:U:U
DS:bytes:GUAGE:U:U

This will create a database where it will write the UID (user-id) value as
it is given (it won't perform any delta calculations, etc, etc). It will
write the username as it is given (it will be text, not numerical). It will
also write the bytes used at a given time. It isn't meant to keep a running
tally, just x # of bytes at a given timestamp.

Is my thinking here correct?