[rrd-users] Re: Swap sent and receive

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Fri Apr 11 10:56:42 MEST 2003

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 05:50:28PM +0100, Laan, Arjan van der wrote:
> OK, that works but have to tweak more. I am using MRTG to monitor a link. I
> now want to start monitoring it from the other end while keeping the
> history. When doing the tune job as described below gives me good history
> but going forward MRTG stores the data reversed like you predicted. I have
> started using the '-' option before the target without success. The only way
> I get good results now when I swap the sent/receive in the target.

Take a moment and describe to yourself what it is exactly what you want
to achieve.  There are several possible problems each with its own solution.

Visualize the flow of your data.  What is collecting it, how is it processed,
where is it stored, how is it fetched, by what, et cetera.

Then find the proper place to work around your problem.

If I understand what's happening:

1) You're used to MRTG.
2) You have two routers, opposite to each other on a link
3) You want to reverse the stats (in and out) for one of them

There are at least two things you can do:
1) collect in and out, swap, store, fetch, graph
2) collect in and out, store, fetch, swap, graph

What you asked for was to swap the available data in an RRD and
thus you now end up with historic data that's been swapped and
current data that has not.

The proper solution for you depends on, amongst others, your
data collector (MRTG?) and your front end (14all.cgi?)

Whatever it is: Try to figure out what's happening where; this
way you can solve your current problem and you'll probably get
to have a better understanding of the technology.

HTH
Alex