[rrd-users] Re: graphing incoming mail messages (procmail, rrdupdate?)

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Mon Apr 14 11:44:22 MEST 2003

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 12:55:38AM -0400, rrd at uce.ransford.org wrote:

> the goal is to have daily, monthly, and yearly graphs of my incoming
> personal mail volume.  am i correct in thinking that i should create an
> 'ABSOLUTE' data source
>
>     rrdtool create mail.rrd DS:messages:ABSOLUTE:900:0:1000 \
>        RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:5:288 \   # one day at 15-min intervals
>        RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:12:744 \  # 31 d/mo * 24 h/d * 1h intervals
>        RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:366   # 366 d/y * ...
>
> and then, from procmail, do
>
>     rrdupdate mail.rrd N:1
>
> every time a message arrives?

Sort of.  Best is to count all messages in a given second, then
specify the exact time stamp.

Received three messages at the same time:
    rrdupdate mail.rrd  1050313302:3

>     rrdtool graph mail-daily.png --start -1d \
>        DEF:msgs=mail.rrd:messages:AVERAGE \
>        LINE1:msgs#FF0000:Messages

This will show the rate i.e. messages per second.
Multiply by 86400 to get messages per day, and so on.

> ... any advice?  i guess i'm not clear whether the 'ABSOLUTE'/'N:1'
> combo is semantically ridiculous for this purpose.

I think it will work.  You have to understand (and you seem to do so)
that RRDtool works with rates.

cheers,
Alex
--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit