[rrd-users] Re: Image size prodiced by rrdtool

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Apr 23 23:10:16 MEST 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 07:48:51PM +0200, Alex K wrote:

> > > file size reduced to 7-8 K. This is a very large difference if you are
> > > looking at an html page with several graphs on a modem connection . Any
> > > feedback on this ?
> >
> > use png format
>
> done. this is much better, sizes are aroung the size of the re-saved gif.
> This solves the problem for me, but anyway, this is a problem to look at ...

There is no problem.  You're using an algoritm to generate smaller GIF files.
This algoritm is copyrighted (or at least: there's doubt) and cannot be used.

The GIF format is free to use, the compression algoritm is not.

The algoritm used by PNG can be used and distributed; this is why many programs
stopped using GIF and started using PNG.

Search the web if you need more info on this.  Also see http://www.boutell.com/gd/

HTH
Alex
--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit