[rrd-users] Re: *shrugs*

Serge Maandag serge.maandag at staff.zeelandnet.nl
Tue Apr 22 16:36:42 MEST 2003

> Now, the whole kb/sec * times = Value thing is all nice and fine...
HOWEVER,
> when *graphing* that, it doesn't exactly make allot of sense when your
TOTAL
> traffic goes up and down and up and down, does it?  I mean, traffic
used is
> traffic used and it cannot go down (except if the counters are reset)

Then it strikes me as odd too that you want to graph it instead of
gprinting it.
If however you just want a line representing total traffic, you can do
it like this:

- calculate the total traffic by doing avg bps * timespan
- call rrdtool graph with a print statement to print the average value
of that total traffic
- catch the output and use it to call rrdtool again. This time let it
draw a line or hrule with the value.

Serge.