[rrd-users] Trouble with RRD create backdate

alan evetts alan at riverstyx.net
Thu Apr 24 01:18:25 MEST 2003

I seem to be unable to have rrdtool create actually set a start date.  I
am trying to graph info I have in my database for the past year or so
and (even while running example commands from the support sites) I am
unsuccessful.

Perhaps someone could let me know whats going on:
I create a RRD with some old date:

# rrdtool create test.rrd \
     --start 920804400 \
     DS:speed:COUNTER:600:U:U \
     RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:24 \
     RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:10

and then fetching the data (without filling anything in):

# rrdtool fetch test.rrd AVERAGE |head
                    speed

1051053000: nan
1051053300: nan
1051053600: nan

You will note it most definitely does not start at 92080440.

I can however update data from (92080440+ 1 step) without error:
# rrdtool update test.rrd 920804401:1.23

But, once again .. the display starts at about a day ago.

#rrdtool fetch test.rrd AVERAGE |head
                     speed

1051053000: nan
1051053300: nan

Etc.

I have been tearing my hair out trying to get this going.. can someone
point out what I'm missing here ?

--
alan evetts
river styx internet