[rrd-users] Re: Trouble with RRD create backdate

alan evetts alan at riverstyx.net
Thu Apr 24 20:59:06 MEST 2003

Well, after lots of debugging through the .c & .h files, I managed to
RTFM and see that rrdtool fetch needs to be given a --start variable to
find anything other than day-1.

However.

If you have an RRD with an unknown start-of-data, and you want to find
that start point to graph everything known across multiple graphs  - how
can this be accomplished?  It seems odd to be able to find a "Start"
value that isn't the actual start value - but not be able to find the
START value!!!

Can someone try and clear this up for me.. I'd rather not have to have
some wretchedly innefficient code look through since Epoch time to find
the first not-NaN value.

Thanks a lot,

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 16:18, alan evetts wrote:
> I seem to be unable to have rrdtool create actually set a start date.  I
> am trying to graph info I have in my database for the past year or so
> and (even while running example commands from the support sites) I am
> unsuccessful.
>
> Perhaps someone could let me know whats going on:
> I create a RRD with some old date:
>
> # rrdtool create test.rrd \
>      --start 920804400 \
>      DS:speed:COUNTER:600:U:U \
>      RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:24 \
>      RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:10
>
> and then fetching the data (without filling anything in):
>
> # rrdtool fetch test.rrd AVERAGE |head
>                     speed
>
> 1051053000: nan
> 1051053300: nan
> 1051053600: nan
>
> You will note it most definitely does not start at 92080440.
>
> I can however update data from (92080440+ 1 step) without error:
> # rrdtool update test.rrd 920804401:1.23
>
> But, once again .. the display starts at about a day ago.
>
> #rrdtool fetch test.rrd AVERAGE |head
>                      speed
>
> 1051053000: nan
> 1051053300: nan
>

> Etc.
>
> I have been tearing my hair out trying to get this going.. can someone
> point out what I'm missing here ?
>

> --
> alan evetts
> river styx internet